Welcome to iHCPL. This site was created to support Harris County Public Library's iHCPL Learning 2.0 Program; a discovery learning program designed to encourage staff to explore new technologies and reward them for doing 23 Things. The program is adapted from The Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County's Learning 2.0 Program.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Week 2: #4 Online Safety and Sharing

Participating in online communities and sharing requires understanding different expectations about privacy and safety. If you write a blog post about "The Most Humiliating Experience of my Life," please be aware that you are sharing this story with anyone who has an Internet connection. You must also be careful with sharing photos and personal or financial information.

Some things to think about when creating content and using online services include:

  • Am I sharing appropriate details about my work or personal life?
  • Do I have permission to post someone else's photo?
  • Am I sharing financial information with an unprotected source?
  • Is the person I'm communicating with who I think they are?

This is in no way meant to alarm anyone! Please just take a minute to look at a couple of resources that will make you feel more comfortable writing posts for your blog that you feel confident in sharing.

Discovery Resources:

  • Think! Before You Post - with illuminating video.
  • Guide to online privacy put together by the Center for Democracy & Technology.
  • Free Range Librarian's ideas on blogging and work.
  • Internet safety for everyone by HCPL.

Discovery Exercise:

  • Create a blog post discussing your thoughts on online safety and privacy. How comfortable are you sharing online?

12 comments:

fred said...

I am very cautious about internet safewty because of all the incidents you hear about violating someone'e privacy. I believe a good rule of thumb is to never put on you blog anything you wouldn't want shared with the world.

fred said...

I am having difficulty with the blog taking my comment. I hope it gets straightened out.

Anonymous said...

If I'm careful on what personal information I submit, I feel comfortable about the internet. This program will give more knowledge that I can share with my co-workers.

skye22200 said...

Internet safety is a must for everyone this day and age, with all the internet scams out there. Some people are trying to get personal information so they can get something for nothing at the expence of others, be very careful about who you give your info to.

pandora said...

If you don't tell everyone your business on the internet it's ok.
Just let them know what you want.

ClaraM said...

I think you want to remember, that blogging, like e-mail, can come back and haunt you. so think before you type.

Cheerfulcass said...

I think that using the internet for research is great, but as far as personal use, I don't recommend posting your personal information.

Molly said...

I've never had a desire to publish my thoughts for viewing by people I don't know, not online or in print! I doubt that I will become an active blogger. However, I am certainly happy to have the first hand experience of setting up and using a blog and to know what everyone has been talking about.
I also feel it is crucial that all of us be informed about internet safety and privacy issues.

willn2blog said...

I agree with most of the bloggers about being careful with personal informatiom....hoo ray!! I'm grapping this opportunity to learn and have fun. A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A POWERFUL THING!!!

katb said...

I think parents need to be more involved with their children. There are too many people looking for the innocence of our children.Parents know what your children are posting and looking at on the internet.

Anonymous said...

In this day and age, we must all be very cautious with our personal information. I don't even like to shop online, because I'm so wary of identity theft. I will put some personal pictures on my blog (of our cats, etc.), but probably none of myself or my kids.

anitap said...

Internet safety is such big issue these days that you and your family have to be very cautious about what you give or write in either emails or blogs or anything else. I share info to the basic. Little as possible.